Canyon feels strongly that more comfort means higher performance, and has incorporated their own VCLS Technology (Vertical Comfort, Lateral Stiffness) into their frames for several years. The Projekt MRSC is a next iteration in expanding this tech.
Canyon’s engineering team sees constant road vibration as the next biggest cause of rider fatigue beyond pedaling effort. As the back and leg muscles undergo stress to counteract road impacts and stabilize the bike, rider comfort decreases and with it endurance and speed. The vibration also breaks the bike’s contact with the road and its intended path, consuming unnecessary energy.The MRSC system proposed an active bike frameset to enhance comfort and handling, with less energy input. (...)
The bike of the (not so distant?) future
Canyon isn't ready to offer any sort of estimates as far as when the Projekt MRSC Connected might actually become a real product but its for-sale date might come sooner than many of us would have thought. While there are obviously a lot of challenges to work through, there's already a test mule to develop the MR suspension system that we got to ride briefly during the Eurobike show.
Frameset Design Features:
- 15mm front and 12mm rear through axles for improved stiffness and consistent handling
- hydraulic 160mm front and 140mm rear disc brakes for reliable, powerful braking
- automatically electrically/magnetically controlled fluid in the suspension bearings provided infinite adjustment between fully open and fully locked out suspension movement, based on riding conditions
- pivot-less chainstays to minimize rear end squat and maintain efficient power transfer and handling
- 15mm of axle travel to account for 90% of road vibrations and impacts
- user adjustable curved fork leaf springs to affect suspension character, and maximize travel progression
- on-board CPU tracks consumables and alerts the rider via smartphone when brake pads, chain, and cables need replacing
- a GPS module records location data for training and performance tracking with out any additional electronics
- combined with a GSM connection, it allows the bike to be tracked if stolen
- the tracking system can also allow you to share your location with friends and family to see where you are or meet up
- with the GSM connection the frame’s E-Call can also alert emergency services in case of a serious crash